Monday, June 23, 2014

Film #2: Kung Fu Panda (2008)


Plot - It's a Bildungsroman about Jack Black becoming a panda, who then becomes a Kung Fu practitioner by eating food. One of the big problem's that kept interfering with my suspension of disbelief: Jack Black didn't smoke weed once throughout the entire film. Doesn't he always do that? Or maybe I have a romanticized vision of all Jack Black movies? 

Form - None that I could see.


F/X - CGI is always bad.


Acting - Why do they always use famous actors in these CGI shit-fests? I didn't realize Dustin Hoffman, Angelina Jolie, Lucy Lui, Jackie Chan, and a million other famous people were even in the movie until my girlfriend checked the IMDB page halfway through the movie. They should take that budget and use it on making the movie suck less.


Mise en scene - It's CGI, so they can put whatever they want in the movie. Still, I don't really remember anything except food being eaten by the main character. Because he's fat, get the joke?


Quotables - In the beginning, there's a lot of Jack Blackisms, talking about being awesome and radical and things like that. It's all very white.


Cool stuff - One word: watchable. I laughed a couple of times, but I don't remember why.


1/7

No comments:

Post a Comment